This program consists of STEP1 to STEP6
- STEP 1
- Selection of trainees
- STEP 2
- University governance, Diversity and Inclusive education (on campus)
- STEP 3
- Teaching methodologies of active learning in English (on campus)
- STEP 4
- Directed study and guidance of international students (on campus)
- STEP 5
- Up-to-date field-specific recurrent training (on campus)
- STEP 6
- Final Examination: teaching and directed study（overseas）
Period: 2 years for each trainee
(can be extended under certain conditions, e.g. maternal leave or nursing care)
Trainees who reach the targeted learning level will receive a certificate from the President and will be granted a tenured position or a one-level promotion
Diversity and Super Global Training Program
From start to completion:
Trainees in this program are selected through a highly transparent screening process from candidates recommended by each departments.
- Qualified applicants: Female faculty, or male faculty aged 37 years old or younger at the end of FY (associate professor, lecturer and assistant professor)
(1) Tenured faculty (2) Untenured faculty but scheduled for a tenure review
- Selection criteria
(1) Sufficient Research achievements (2) A positive attitude to learning about new issues related to universities and society (3) Motivated to improve global research and educational skills including overseas training
- The members of the Committee: President and board members of Kyushu University, professors emeritus in Institute for Advanced Study and external experts (total 10 members)
- Language: English and Japanese
An unconscious bias check sheet should be provided to the judges before review
- Number of planned applicants : 5-10 people / year
male : female = 1:1, humanities : science = 1:1 in principle
Learn about the importance of university governance, diversity and inclusion. Lecturers are invited from the world's top universities (mandatory course)
- University governance
- Content: Long-term perspective of what a university should be and university management
- Lecturers: University vice president or former vice president, lecturers invited from world's top universities.
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Content: The importance of diversity and inclusion in university and society, and various innovative cases born from these concepts
- Lecturer: An overseas expert
Learn about the latest teaching methodologies of active learning from lecturers affiliated with world's top class universities (mandatory course)
- 2-3 days of intensive and interactive lectures offered by an expert from world's top class universities
- Classes are conducted in English
Learn how to conduct research guidance in English for international students while receiving guidance from a world-class senior researcher as a mentor (mandatory course)
- Content: Setting a research theme, carrying out research guidance in English, writing international co-authored paper (in principle) etc. with international students (maximum 2), supervised by a overseas mentor
- The overseas mentor should be a university researcher who meets the requirements of a world's top level university (Progress 100).
- The trainee selects the international students and the overseas mentor
- Web conferencing technology will be made available for overseas communication
Select your extra-professional field from Kyushu University’s priority issues, such as data science (AI or IoT) or SDGs and receive recurrent training to broaden your scientific view. This will be helpful to remain highly active after promotion through the establishment of interdisciplinary fields, research centers, and budget requests (mandatory course)
- Faculty from the humanities should take science-related classes, and vice versa
- Classes for industry-academia collaboration and entrepreneurship are also available.
- STEP 5 can be completed after STEP 6 overseas research
- Lectures are conducted in English or Japanese using active learning methods
Overseas Program/More than 8 weeks
Overseas training constitutes the final examination of SENTAN-Q.
It determines whether the trainees developed research and educational skills that meet global standards
- Place: An overseas partner university (or another world's top university)
- Only trainees who have completed STEP 2 through STEP 4 can participate in STEP 6
- Conduct lectures at a partner university in English. If it is difficult to conduct a regular class, it can be replaced with tutorial lectures at multiple universities.
- Student research guidance in English at a partner university with an overseas mentor.
- The trainee selects the overseas university and mentor
- In principle, as in STEP 4, the writing of one international co-authored paper is required.
- Final certification of the training shall be decided by the President after the careful deliberation by the Committee.
- Successful trainees who reach the targeted learning level will receive certificates and a tenure or one level promotion will be granted within one year of the completion of the program.
- SENTAN-Q will aim to promote 50 trainees through 6 application rounds (5 to 10 trainees for each fiscal year)